How to type instead of talk to Siri
You can type instead of talk to Siri, but you still need to talk first.
I’ve been writing for years about how I’d like the option to type instead of talk to Siri, Apple’s virtual assistant. I’ve also pointed out how all the technology already appears to be there, you just can’t trigger it directly. That doesn’t mean you can’t trigger it indirectly, though…
How to type queries and commands to Siri on iPhone and iPad
- Hold down the Home button or say "Hey, Siri, if available, to activate Siri.
- Say anything. Mumble even. Whatever.
- Tap the Edit button beneath the text representing what you said.
- Type your actual query or command.
- Tap Done at the bottom right of the keyboard.
Siri will process what you typed as if it had transcribed what you’d been saying and give you the results you’d expect.
While this workaround works, you do have to talk to Siri to start the process, and Siri will talk back with each response. That makes it less than idea for situations where you’d like to type because you can’t talk.
Hopefully Apple can address that part in iOS 10 or a future update. Meanwhile, if you give it a try, let me know how it works for you.
from iMore – The #1 site for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and all things Apple! http://ift.tt/22GxfaH